Monday, February 22, 2010

Duet Acting

Melissa Sivaraj (Caesar) & Emily Thorne (Decius)

Context:
The conspirators have sent Decius, one of Caesar’s closest friends to fetch Caesar to the capitol, where Caesar thinks that he will be crowned. The night before the assassination was chaotic, things were out of order, Calpurnia dreamt that Caesar would die and after much persuasion, Caesar decided to stay. Decius, being charismatic, flattered Caesar to believe that Calpurnia misinterpreted her dream and he turned the events around to make it seem that. Thus, Caesar, brushed aside Calpurnia’s pleads and concluded that his earlier decision was rational and that he shouldn’t fear the unknown.

Significance:
This passage leads into Caesar’s assassination. It is an example of Caesar’s ambition and the internal conflict between his public and private side and which side overpowers the other. Tension is created when Decius arrives because, before there were no outsiders to support his decision to go the capitol. Caesar being gullible was a tragic character flaw and his love for admiration to which he succumbed to, lead to his death. The irony is that he was good to the ones who betrayed him. Caesar’s final decision erases the possibility that he may live to see himself rise in power.

Act Two, Scene 2, Lines 65 – 107

Caesar Shall Caesar send a lie?
Have I in conquest strech’d mine arm so far,
To be afeard to tell greybeards the truth?
Decius, go tell them Caesar will not come.

Decius Most mighty Caesar, let me know some cause,
Lest I be laugh’d at when I tell them so.

Caesar The cause is in my will: I will not come;
That is enough to satisfy the Senate.
But for your private satisfaction,
Because I love you, I will let you know:
Calpurnia here, my wife, stays me at home.
She dreamt tonight she saw my statue,
Which like a fountain with a hundred spouts
Did run pure blood; and many lusty Romans
Came smiling, and did bathe their hands in it.
And these does she apply for warnings and portents
And evils imminent; and on her knee
Hath begg’d that I will stay at home today.

Decius This dream is all amiss interpreted;
It was a vision fair and fortunate:
Your statue spouting blood in many pipes,
In which so many smiling Romans bath’d,
Signifies that from you great Rome shall suck
Reviving blood, and that great men shall press
For tinctures, stains, relics, and cognizance.
This by Calpurnia’s dream is signified.

Caesar And this way have you well expounded it.

Decius I have, when you have heard what I can say:
And know it now. The Senate have concluded
To give this day a crown to mighty Caesar.
If you shall send them word you will not come,
Their minds may change. Besides, it were a mock
Apt to be render’d, for some one to say,
‘Break up the Senate till another time,
When Caesar’s wife shall meet with better dreams.’
If Caesar hide himself, shall they not whisper,
‘Lo, Caesar is afraid’?
Pardon me, Caesar; for my dear dear love
To your proceeding bids me tell you this,
And reason to my love is liable.

Caesar How foolish do your fears seem now, Calpurnia!
I am ashamed I did yield to them.
Give me my robe, for I will go.

No comments: